- ½–1 lb package of breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 2 lbs bone-chicken (skin-on thighs or breasts, or mix of legs and thighs)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, quartered
- 3 scallions (white and green parts), roughly chopped1½ cups Jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup white wine (optional)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- Sumac, for serving (optional)
- Momofuku Savory Seasoned Salt
Heat oven to 400°F. Season chicken on both sides with savory seasoned salt (about 2 tablespoons).
Heat a large skillet or braiser over medium high heat and add breakfast sausage, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Cook for about 4 minutes until browned on one side and fat is beginning to render in the pan. Then, add in seasoned chicken. Continue cooking 6–8 minutes until sausage is cooked and chicken is browned slightly on both sides. Add garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant. Add thyme, onions, tomatoes, scallions, and butter and cook for 2–3 minutes, allowing flavors to meld. Top with rice. Optional: deglaze skillet with wine and cook for 1 minute until completely dissolved.
Add chicken broth to skillet, then top with sliced mushrooms and bring to a boil. Transfer to the oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through (165°F) and rice is tender, about 40 minutes. If rice looks dry, add additional broth or water. Once cooked through, turn your broiler to high and place the skillet right under the broiler for about 2 minutes to crisp up rice. Finish with 1 teaspoon of Savory Seasoned Salt and 2 teaspoons of Sumac.