- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups fresh corn (cut from 3 small-to-average cobs)
- 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (both white and green parts from a 4-ounce bundle)
- 8 cups whole wheat, country or French bread in 1-inch cubes (weight will vary from 10 to 14 ounces, depending on bread type)
- 2 cups (6 ounces) coarsely grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup (2 ounces) finely grated parmesan
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional, see Note up top)
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon table salt or 2 teaspoons of a coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Generously butter a 3-quart baking dish (a lasagna or 9×13-inch pan works well here too). Toss corn and scallions together in a medium bowl. Combine cheeses in another bowl. In a large bowl, gently beat eggs and mayo together, then whisk in milk, salt and lots (or, if measuring, 1/2 teaspoon) of freshly ground black pepper. Spread one-third of bread cubes in prepared baking dish — it will not fully cover bottom of dish; this is fine. Add one-third of corn, then cheese mixture. Repeat layering twice with remaining bread, corn and cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over strata. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 1 day.
When ready to bake, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake strata, uncovered, until puffed, golden brown and cooked through, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.