- 1 cup farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 recipe lemon miso dressing (below)
- 1 large bunch kale, finely chopped, stems removed
- 1 small head radicchio, quartered, cored, and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
In a large pot, place the farro with enough water to cover by a couple of inches and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until the farro is tender but still chewy, about 30 minutes. Drain the farro and set aside to cool.
To assemble the salad, toss the kale with three-quarters of the dressing in a large salad bowl. With clean hands, gently mas- sage the kale with the dressing to soften the leaves. Add the radicchio, Parmesan, walnuts, and farro to the kale and toss again. Taste and add the remaining dressing, if needed.
This salad can be made in advance. It tastes even better the second day. Cover and refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.
Lemon Miso Dressing
- 1 ⁄ 2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ⁄ 3 cup lemon juice
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons miso paste (preferably mellow white)
- 1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 ⁄ 4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, miso, salt, and pepper in a glass jar with a lid. Use a fork to stir in the miso, then shake vig- orously to emulsify.
Pour generously over your favorite grain salad.
This dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. If the oil solidifies, briefly microwave on low until melted.