- 6 2/3 cup of flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cakes yeast (1 cake = 2 1/2 tsp)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water plus 2/3 cup water
- Dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup warm water (I also add 1 Tbsp of sugar from the 2/3 cup).
- Mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt. Whisk together. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in the dissolved yeast. On top of the yeast mixture, sprinkle some flour and leave for 10 minutes.
- Mix oil, eggs, and remaining water (1 cup). Whisk together.
- After the yeast has begun to bubble (the 10 minutes above), pour in the water/oil/egg mixture and mix with flour. When its all mixed turn out of the counter and knead. You’ll probably have to add bits of flour to keep from sticking.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough inside and cover with a damp tea towel. Place in warm spot and let rise - 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down, knead, let rise again. Punch down, divide into 3 parts.
- Oil bread pans. Can either braid the loaf or divide one of the thirds into 8 small balls. Let dough rise in the pan. You can also mix an egg with some water to rush on the top of the loaf. Back at 325 for 40-60 minutes. Check the top of the bread for color.
Use both ovens. If you use both racks in the top oven, the bottom rack burns the bottom of the bread after 20 minutes.