- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- large piece ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder, or to taste
- 227g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 small green chili, halved lengthways
- squeeze lemon juice
- handful cilantro, roughly chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Cook the onion for 10 mins until soft, then add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, cumin and curry powder. Cook for 1 min more. Stir in the tomatoes and sugar. Add the cauliflower, potatoes and split chilli, seasoning to taste. Cover with a lid and gently cook for a good 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender – add a drop of water if you need to, but it is meant to be a dry curry.
- When the vegetables are cooked, remove the chilli, if you like, stir in a squeeze of lemon juice and scatter with coriander. Serve with your choice of Indian bread and a dollop of yogurt.