- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups fresh white or yellow corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 leaves fresh epazote, (or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano), finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 warm corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup tomatillo (green) salsa
- 8 teaspoons grated Monterey Jack cheese (or queso fresco)
- Heat half of oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Toast corn 5 minutes, stirring; season with salt.
- Remove corn; set aside. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in skillet.
- Cook onion, stirring, until it caramelizes, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; cook 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini; cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes; season with salt.
- Add corn, beans, epazote and pepper.
- Cook 3 minutes. Split filling among tortillas; top each with 1 1/2 teaspoons salsa and 1 teaspoon cheese.