- 6 2/3 cup of flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cakes yeast (1 cake = 2 1/2 tsp)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water plus 2/3 cup water
- Dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup warm water (I also add 1 Tbsp of sugar from the 2/3 cup).
- Mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt. Whisk together. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in the dissolved yeast. On top of the yeast mixture, sprinkle some flour and leave for 10 minutes.
- Mix oil, eggs, and remaining water (1 cup). Whisk together.
- After the yeast has begun to bubble (the 10 minutes above), pour in the water/oil/egg mixture and mix with flour. When its all mixed turn out of the counter and knead. You’ll probably have to add bits of flour to keep from sticking.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough inside and cover with a damp tea towel. Place in warm spot and let rise - 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down, knead, let rise again. Punch down, divide into 3 parts.
- Oil bread pans. Can either braid the loaf or divide one of the thirds into 8 small balls. Let dough rise in the pan. You can also mix an egg with some water to rush on the top of the loaf. Back at 325 for 40-60 minutes. Check the top of the bread for color.
** Use both ovens. If you use both racks in the top oven, the bottom rack burns the bottom of the bread after 20 minutes. **